Car accidents are scary. Even minor accidents can shake you up so that you may just not know what to do after it happens. Each year there are millions of car accidents in the United States. In 2010, there were 44,094 accidents in the state of Oregon alone. Hopefully you’ll be one of the lucky ones and you’ll never be in an accident but maybe a few of these tips will help if you are.
1) Ensure everyone is OK. Check to make sure everyone in your vehicle is OK and then everyone involved in the accident. If everyone is OK and the accident looks pretty bad, you should probably get out and away from the vehicle.
2) Call the police unless it is a very minor accident where almost no damage was done and no one was hurt. If the damage appears to be over $1,500 or if anyone is injured, you will need to file an accident report. Otherwise, you can just exchange insurance information.
3) Don’t admit fault. We are not attorneys so you may want to consult with an attorney before following any of these tips but in our experience it has been best to not admit fault. You may not have all of the facts so even if you think it might be your fault, it might not be. It is best to let the legal system determine if it is or not.
4) Move the vehicle out of the way of other cars. If you can safely move the vehicle to the side of the road to get it out of the way of other vehicles, that would be best. If you can’t, then just leave it.
5) Take photos of the damage. Once an accident has occurred, pictures should be taken to ensure the damages are recorded. This way all the information will be present when an investigation is launched and your insurance company will have more information to work with.
6) Call your insurance company to file a claim. Your insurance company will ask you a few questions about the accident. You should answer then honestly. You hire them so they are on your side and will be working for you.
7) Have your vehicle removed. If your vehicle is severely damaged and is unsafe to drive, then you probably don’t need it around anymore. Once it is cleared with your insurance company, you can call Tony’s Auto Removal to have the vehicle removed. We’ll pay you cash for your wrecked car which you can then apply as a down payment for something newer. We’ll also tow it for free so you won’t have to worry about how to get the vehicle to us. You can reach us by phone at 503-953-2970 or you can request an online quote to find out how much your car is worth. Yes, wrecked cars are still worth cash!
*Please also consult an attorney before following any of these tips. We are providing information only, not legal advice.